Tuesday, August 18, 2009

This week

Our visit with our precious children went well today. The nurses for each of the 4 are so informative and take the time to answer our questions. Sometimes the babies have the same night and or day nurse and other times they are different. We were told we can ask for primary care nurses. Its good to have primary care nurses as they get acquainted and bond with the babies. Its nice to have consistency with the care the nurses give them. We have requested some of the nurses to be primary care nurses. I'm sure as we get to know more of the nurses we will request more.
Each week the neonatologists rotate and this week its Dr. Jarriel. He's nice and explains things to us in a way we can understand. So far the neonatologist in the group have been nice.
The babies are still continuing on and making small progress. The doctor is trying to wean the vent settings down a bit and are watching out for when they can start feeds with breast milk. We are still waiting to see Haley's, Braden's and Rachel's eyes open. I was given a lock of Rachel's hair tonight. They had to shave a little off her head for a peripheral line. Her hair is dark like Thomas's. Thursday the the doctor will do a follow up ultrasound of their brains/head to see if the bleeding has improved or gotten worse. We hope and pray to hear that they have gotten better not worse.
We were told we could put a stuffed animal in each of their isolates. So we went and bought some cute teddy bears for them. Hopefully they will enjoy them.

10 comments:

  1. Love reading the updates. You are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog through someone else's. I am praying for all 8 of you. You are going through so much, the NICU roller coaster is a hard thing to grasp. I have a 24 weeker who is now 2 1/2 years old. He faced some hard times but is an amazing little boy and ahead of the game. I pray that you guys will get that will your surviving 4 and that your two angels will watch closely over you. Feel free to contact me if you need someone to talk to. I remember(even with my husband there) how hard times can get and you need another mother who has felt that pain. My thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the eye opening. And on the attempts at weaning the vent settings. I hope that goes well. I'm glad you have good nurses. I'm sure any of them would love to be primary care nurses for your family! You are such nice parents, it would be fun to get to interact with you regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post! I remember the first time Kenny opened his eyes! I want to tell you that your family and all your babies are in our family's prayers. I want to tell you that I am very sorry about your loss of 2 of your precious babies (I lost Kenny's twin, so I know your pain). You have a long journey ahead of you...just know that you are not alone. Us moms with micros are here for you...to ask questions, yell, complain, and tell us all the accomplishments they have done. You hang in there!!! God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you like your nurses and doctors and that they are answering your questions. That can really help, as can having primary nurses. We had 5 for my little girl, and we are still in touch with them. I'll be praying that all goes well this week, particularly with the ultrasounds on Thursday. Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How nice it is to read your posting! I am very happy to know that the babies are slowly making progress. It is slow, but very significant! Preemies can develop several problems; however, the older they get, the easier it is to turn things around. Each day their chances increase. Today they are two weeks old, and probably the worst is already behind. The first few days are critical, and that is over with. I continue to pray hard, and send all my love and hopes for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for keeping us posted! you are the first that i check when i turn my computer on each day! Imagine 2 weeks! Happy day! i hope Braden is doing better.. i love you guys---Erma

    ReplyDelete
  8. you all are in our thoughts daily. We have a neice that had brain hemmorrages and we know how scary that is and it will be a long time before you know the extent of what may happen. May God continue to Bless and Keep you all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read an article about preemies from PEOPLE magazine and thought you would be encouraged.

    http://www.people.com/archive/article/0,,20281882.00.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Primary care nurses are great. We were at Women's Hosp. NICU 3 in July 08; unfortunately I did not become familiar with primaries until we were moved to NICU 2 but from that point forward we had primaries. Nearly every day and night a nurse was caring for our babies that I had chosen. It is a little hard to do at first b/c like you said you are just meeting everyone but it is best for your babies; nurses that care for them every day or several times a week learn your babies and know what their normals are. One of my twins temp ran cold all the time, that was just her not representative of a problem. That is the kind of things primaries learn just like you do. It is also good for you as the parent you are comfortable talking to the same person. I am so sorry for your loss; you are in my prayers.
    Christi Deaton

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comments! We love to hear from you! If you prefer to not leave a comment on our blog you can email us at stanseljourney@gmail.com.